Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Craisins and Trail Mix -S

    I love trail mix...if it has chocolate! No chocolate, no trail mix, I always say. I also love craisins. They now sell a reduced sugar variety, it only has 2 carbs less than the full sugar variety??? Have you ever read the nutritional info on one of those bags?! Enough to give you a heart attack! There's like 32 carbs in a single serving! NOT a health food! But... they are good.

    I found a very helpful link that taught me how to make my own. We thought they turned out great. I decided to try another method because it was easier. That batch was okay, but the first method was tastier. From now on I'm doing the first method.

    Here is the link for the dried cranberries.

A Few Tips from My Experience

I used xylitol for my sweetener.

After mine had cooked for amount specified, I drained the rest of the juice off the berries with a very fine colander.

I started to make mine in the oven but ran into logistical problems, so I just threw them into our dehydrator.
Worked like a charm

If you're planning to have your craisins last awhile, I recommend storing them in the freezer as it's apparently very difficult to fully dry cranberries.



Trail Mix - S

2 cups of Almonds
1 cup of Pecans
1 cup of Walnuts
1 1/2 cups of Craisins (see above)
1/2 cup of 85% Dark Chocolate, chopped

Dump all ingredients into a bowl. Stir. Eat.
(Not in one sitting)

Trail Mix is a very personal food. Everybody has their favorite way of making it.
I was just recently told by my cousin "Trail mix is nothing more than an M&M obstacle course"
I agree (except I don't really eat m&ms anymore)!
Feel free to change/omit any of the above measurements/ingredients.

I don't recommend this for high temperature excursions. 
If you're going on a road trip and are able to keep it in a cooler, go for it. 
Otherwise, big chocolate mess!

FYI - Reportedly, there is some form of low carb off brand m&ms. They're not purist and I've never bothered to look for them, but if you're interested, you could look around.

Drop me a comment and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...