Monday, November 18, 2013

Pecan Pie - S

    After much trial and error, I think I have finally figured out a recipe for low carb pecan pie! I haven't had pecan pie in years and when I realized I could probably low carb it, I got pretty excited.

    The first time I made it I didn't like the crust and thought the flavor needed work. The second time I made it, I fixed the crust, but the filling consistency wasn't quite right. The third time? SUCCESS!!! I like the crust, the consistency and the flavor!

    Out of curiosity, I tallied up the carbs in this pie. If my figures are correct (they might not be, there seems to be some controversy on the amount of carbs in almond flour), there is only about 3.5 carbs per slice! (8 slice pie) How fantastic is that?

    I'm very excited to have this for Thanksgiving! (bet you couldn't figure that out!)




Pecan Pie - S
CRUST

3/4 cup of Almond Flour
1 Tbsp of Melted Butter
1 Tbsp of Xylitol

Mix ingredients together in the bottom of a pie pan. 
Carefully press onto bottom and as far up the sides as you can.
The 'crust' will be very thin.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool slightly while preparing filling

FILLING

3 Eggs
1 cup of Xylitol
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp of Maple Extract
1/3 cup of Melted Butter
1 Cup of Molasses Syrup*
1 1/2 cup of Pecan Halves

Place all ingredients except pecan halves into blender.
Blend for about one minute or until fully incorporated.
Gently (with spoon) stir in pecan halves.
Pour into prepared crust. Bake at 325 degrees
for 30 minutes, cover with foil and bake another 30 minutes.
Cool and then refrigerate for several hours.
The consistency and flavor of this is best after refrigerating.

* Molasses Syrup
1 1/2 cups of Water
1 Tbsp of Blackstrap Molasses
2 tsp of Glucomannan

Pour water and molasses into a saucepan on high heat. 
When water starts to boil, gradually add glucomannan while constantly stirring.
After mixture has thickened considerably, remove from heat.
The liquid should have reduced to about 1 cup. The first time or two you might want
to measure the end result to see where you're at. It doesn't have to be one cup exactly, but fairly close either way. If it has not reduced to about one cup, put back in pan and boil for a little longer.
If it has reduced way past the one cup mark, just add a little water. Let cool
for about 15 minutes before using to make pie.

If you try this, please leave me a comment to let me know what you think!
I will be updating the Trim Healthy Thanksgiving post to reflect the Pecan Pie :) 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...